If you haven’t noticed, 12 days ago, we started a whole new year.
But what’s even more mind blowing is that we’ve been posting on this space for over a year now (the first time I posted on RWT was August 30, 2016).
Because it’s Saturday, I had some time to reflect on this website and how I want to see it grow. Today is January 13th, and I’m still writing about our summer trip to Malaysia + Singapore. You know, the trip we took in August 2017?
Yeah, I’m super behind.
But today I want to talk about what we accomplished in 2017….and where I want to go this year with both this website and our YouTube channel.
- We launched the website in late 2016 + I continued to write about our travels as we entered into 2017. Our posts were pretty informative, but not really personal.
- We started posting videos on our YouTube channel.
- We started the year in Taiwan, traveled to Malaysia + Singapore, traveled through Japan, and ended the year in Thailand.
- We hit 100,000 views on YouTube!
- We ended the year with a little over 700 subscribers + posted over 100 videos. The website was kind of put on the back burner.
That’s what last year looked like, so what about 2018? Here are a few goals that we’re looking forward to accomplishing in the next 12 months:
- Reach 1500 YouTube Subscribers
- Grow our Instagram Following (1000+)
- Start an Email/Newsletter List
- Increase engagement on Twitter + Facebook
- Post twice a week on both YouTube + RealWorldTravelers.com
- Find a balance between informative + personal posts.
So how do l plan to reach these goals (+more as the year goes on)?
YOU // Obviously, we couldn’t have accomplished most of the things we did in 2017 without your support. We would have lost steam, and given up (I’m mostly talking about myself here, because Caleb has an iron will). If you’d like to help spread the word about our travel videos, about the pictures we post on Instagram, or our other social media accounts, we would be more than grateful. And if you’d like to be added to our Email/Newsletter list, leave a comment below + let us know what kinds of things you’d like to see included!
CONSISTENCY + TIME // Does this really need an explanation? If there’s one thing I learned from posting on YouTube, it’s that consistency matters, and is key to growth. We have a lot of exciting plans for this next year, but I want to be sure that I also make the time to write, share, and connect with the people that visit us here and on YouTube.
PATIENCE // I’m fully aware that these goals could crash and burn right in our face. But you’ll never know if you don’t try, right? If you’ve spent any amount of time with a blogger, you’re probably aware of the horrible Instagram algorithm, and YouTube monetization nonsense. I’m not the most patient person, but I’m forcing myself to just enjoy the process. Who knows? Maybe we’ll go above and beyond these goals. We’ll just have to wait and see.
So what kinds of things will I see on RWT this year?
MALAYSIA + SINGAPORE // My goal for January is to finish posting about our Summer 2017 trip. Only a few more posts to go!
THAILAND // If you didn’t know, we spent Christmas and New Years in Thailand! I’ll be writing about our adventures starting in February.
SECRET TRIPS // More on that later. 😉
We hope that you’ll stick with us on this journey as we continue to grow & learn. There’s a lot that we want to accomplish, and we’re grateful to have your support!
Happy New Year, Travelers!
Time to get stuff done.